Friday, January 29, 2010

The top four lines from "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger

  • "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."
  • "Never worried about paying or even how much I owed."
  • "I was living to run and running to live"
  • "I found myself alone, surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends"

Also, the top concept from the song: the transition across the three verses from running to seeking shelter and back to running against the wind (first a youthful running against & not even noticing the wind, then with age noticing and seeking shelter against the wind, and then the final running against the wind as the conscious choice of the aging rocker burdened with worldly duties).

It's so surprising to finally listen to these lyrics that have gone in one ear and out the other my whole life, and find them so poetic.

Also, the piano solo.

2 comments:

tommy iomi said...

this song has a transitive effect with "turn the page" too; the consideration of either in light of thematic comparison betters them both. otherwise, yeah, he's just tired & his beard hurts.

Rory said...

I like having my mind blown while sipping hot, bitter tea. Thanks, Matty. When I was a teenaged DJ for WMOI, Monmouth, Your Source for Light Hits, I played this song all the time and, yeah...NEVER really listened to it. But I still liked it.