Friday, August 15, 2008

The Spanish Civil War

When I was a kid I loved Metallica, and they had a song called "For Whom the Bell Tolls" that every single kid metal band since then has played. I swear to god. You got a little brother or cousin in a metal band? Ask them. They played it.

Anyhow, I heard there was a book by that title and so I read it. I found it BORING, but I was probably too young. That experience saved me a lot of time, since I was also into Iron Maiden, and they are famous for having songs named after great literary works but having nothing to do with those literary works:

  • Stranger in a Strange Land
  • The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
  • Murders in the Rue Morgue
  • Phantom of the Opera (it was too a book)
  • Revelations (do bible chapters count?)
  • Rime of the Ancient Mariner
  • Heaven Can Wait (ok, that's a movie, but still)
  • A Tale of Two Cities (ok, I made that one up, but still)
  • Only the Good Die Young (do Billy Joel songs count?)
When I was an even younger kid I had been to the Alcazar in Toledo and was pretty moved by it. I must admit that I still don't really know much about the Spanish civil war, but I do know this giant half-crushed building made me feel something. There was a story, I don't even know if it went with this building or some other one, but there was a story of a besieged building, and of a tired general finally surrendering with only two words-- "no más." That really stuck with me.


A while back I had this list of embarassing confessions that started out with me not getting what was so great about the Clash. Well, that caused a small outcry with some of my friends, and soon I had a lot of advice on what to listen to and why. I had mix CDs and playlists and documentaries and books, and I decided it was my duty to give the Clash another try.

It didn't work.

Until one day I was tinkering around on the piano, and my wandering made-up melody suddenly seemed like it had to go a certain way-- a certain AWESOME way that must be from the awesomest song ever, what the hell was it from?

It must have sounded kinda like this:



I had to ask around and see what it was I was stealing, because I know the feeling of making something up and I know the feeling of stealing something you didn't even know you knew, and I knew this must be a little turn of musical phrase I had heard somewhere.

Lo and behold:

* * *

I've never read another Hemingway novel. I still listen to Metallica and Iron Maiden from time to time. I dream of going back to Spain. I love the Clash.


4 comments:

Matthew Frederick said...

The Sun Also Rises is pretty good.

Instead of a metal song, I guess it would be like an Amy Grant song or something though.

Peter said...

Well, I guess I'm in the same metallica/maiden boat as you. which reminded me of listening to L.S.D. in between my brothers band playing metallica and D.R.I covers in the basement.

anyhoo. I don't know much of the civil war myself. but from what I gather, WWII would have been much more interesting without it. And as a spaniard myself I can attest that we are all pretty much a bunch of pompous assholes.

yaye!

Milla said...

i think the spanish civil war is the saddest thing. maybe one of the saddest things. where a lot of the great hopes and dreams of the popular front died. and mass civilian death set the stage for mass genocide.

i taught with helen graham's very short introduction last year; it is real good.

Robert said...

Oh, my heart!

I also have allowed the particulars of that war to kind of slip through the cracks, which is surprising 'cause I totally LOVE war! I do know that it was basically the Spring Training to WWII's regular season. I also remember hearing something about the John Brown Anti-Aircraft Battery - the coolest possible name for any anti-aircraft battery ever, obviously.

God....I fucking love war, dude.