Sunday, November 07, 2010

The first note of Frogger

On the old Atari 2600 I would play a lot of Frogger. The opening theme, you may recall, went something like this:







(at 0:49 in this review)

However, if you held down the reset switch, that first note would go until you let it back up, which made it seem like a pickup note and made the melody sound more like this confusing version:






I remember holding down the switch for as long as I could. That's still the feeling I have for long pickup notes landing into the start of a melody. And maybe it has something to do with these retarded remixes I am so fascinated with.

Also, there is the matter of

5 comments:

Pancake Master said...

That is awesome and I totally know what you are talking about.

Matthew Frederick said...

I always perceived the song as the second version, with or without the long pickup note.

matty lite said...

I always heard the first half the second way, then I heard the second half the first way. In fact it was really hard to unhear it that way to transcribe it, and would've been impossible without that lower voice keepin' time.

e said...

same for me. confusing way first, then my brain sorts it out after that. i am happy you are bloggin again!

I WAS THERE said...

Holy shit I remember that first note trick