Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Records and CDs

I am in the middle (well, closer to the end, thank God) of moving across town right now. Today was my big day of going through all my records and CDs and deciding what to do with them all. I was struck by something I never really thought through. CDs suck. They are a horrible product. The shitty plastic cases break. I'd say 70% of my CD cases were broke. No matter, I just put them all in one of those binder things anyhow. Which now seems just about out of date, cuz I could as easily rip them all onto a hard drive. What would make me want to keep them would be the art, but since all the shitty ass plastic cases are broken and infuriate me every time I open them and they fall apart, I just stuck them all in a box that will go to the basement and probably never again see the light of day.

I paid probably an average of $7 each for all those CDs-- lots of new, lots of used, lots accidentally stolen but balanced out by those accidentally stolen from me.

Then my records. My records had to be winnowed. I have limited shelf space and tons of good rock, classical, and a few jazz records. I mean for real good, not just tons of Sergio Mendez or 101 Strings or stuff. These records look beautiful. The sleeves, even when worn, are often things you could hang up or frame. The most broken ones just need a little tape to keep the discs from falling out when you pick them up. The older ones have a circular halo around the record, like the back jeans pocket of a seasoned tobacco chewer or the wallet of a wishfully thinking horny young teenage boy.

I paid probably an average of $3 each for all these records-- lots of used, a few new, a few in bulk, a few individually ordered or sought after.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I hate to be one of those people who thinks newer stuff is shitty and older stuff is awesome. But in this case it is true. CDs are just a piece-of-shit product that got sold for way too much money and used shitty plastics that are probably filling landfills right now. When the shitty plastic cases break, the shitty plastic discs with the thin metal coat are bared to the elements, like cold, or heat, or friction, or, I don't know, air, and now lots of them won't play unless you play them on a super quick drive. Where's the super quick drive but in a computer, where you could just rip them and not have to get infuriated with the broken case in the first place.

Whereas records, you can hold them and feel the weight, you can look at the art at a reasonable size. Having to flip them engages you in the music, if you are paying close attention, or encourages multiple listens if, say, there are lots of people hanging out and someone just keeps flipping the record when it runs out. They are hard to break, hard to lose, and easy to love. I'm sure the markup on records was astronomical too, but at least the product was worth a shit. Plus isn't it true that they sent out that stuff to space for aliens to hear and they decided they better use a record since a CD might be hard to figure out? Um, plus, don't those crazy audiophiles say there is like a 7 micro-hertz band that CDs cut out but you can hear on a record, if you have a titanium needle and vacuum-sealed superconductor speaker cables?

So I guess I'm saying that, in my opinion, records are a superior product to CDs. That's all. And just to be clear that this isn't one of those knee-jerk older-is-better sort of things, let me say that I prefer DVD to VHS, and maybe even laser discs to DVD. Then again, film and projectors aren't quite as affordable and available as records and record players...

3 comments:

Cousin Robert said...

"the shitty plastic cases break"

...not to call you out or anything, but uhh, only if you don't take decent care of 'em, doooooogggggggg. Sure, my CD copy of Soundgarden's DOWN ON THE UPSIDE digipak is cracked to shit (for one example), but only cuz I rolled over it with a swivel-chair one time like 12 years ago. Vinyl scratches plenty easy (easier than CDs in some cases), and I would defy anyone to break a CD in half as quickly as I could break a vinyl record into sixteen pieces. Heck I just tried breaking some crappy CD-R in half today and it was basically impossible. You drop a vinyl record from a six-foot height and you are playing with fire (if you consider fire to be "a reasonable likelihood of broken vinyl").

I have CDs and vinyl records both in somewhat-to-extremely high quantity (depending on whom you ask of course), and I continue to purchase both, and I think both are great for their various reasons, and both have their pitfalls-a-plenty, aesthetically, physically, practically, and otherwise.

e said...

whaddya mean accross town? are you forsaking the south side?

CD sandwich said...

my CD buying these days: purchase, take home, rip, place in dusty pile never to be opened again.

planning on just ripping the lot of them (i.e. the older ones), selling or giving away all of 'em, and existing in a vinyl/hard drive world (with careful backup of the files of course).