Tuesday, May 16, 2006

the fabled catbird seat

St. Louis native John Goodman was the first person I ever heard refer to "the fabled catbird seat," talking to his character's brother in Raising Arizona. Well, that's not really true. I most likely wasn't paying attention when I saw the movie, and I never really heard it until a friend kept saying it and I asked what it was. I had a vision that looked something like this:

My friend had no idea what it meant. Hmm, I thought, this is the exact reason the internets exist. So I looked it up, and had to amend my mental image:


Turns out the catbird is just a kind of bird in the South that tends to pick really high branches to sit on, according to this little investigation. The phrase may have originated down south, but it's currency in the north was assured by none other than legendary Brooklyn Dodgers broadcaster Red Barber, who heard it playing poker (which does sound to me like the perfect time to use it) and added it to the list of colorful phrases that so endeared him the public (here's a nice discussion on that).

Here's where it comes full-circle for me. I first (maybe) heard the phrase from John Goodman, a hometown hero from my current hometown. It's entirely possible that John Goodman first heard the phrase from famed humorist James Thurber, a hometown hero from my ancestral/fake hometown of Ohio, who wrote a short story called "The Catbird Seat" (cliff notes here) in 1942.

Turns out The Catbird Seat is also an indie record label/podcast/review site, a rabble-rousing political intrigue & exposé site, and even the personal web log of a youth minister's wife and mother of two. One thing is clear: wherever it came from, this phrase is here to stay. In a world such as ours, what with its neverending panorama of rising and falling idioms, with phrases flashing in the pan for just a year before they fade from favor and consciousness, "the catbird seat" is truly sitting in the fabled catbird seat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

meow. chirp!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a beak job.

Anonymous said...

Thurber, yeah, funny guy...hey, one time Roseanne took this enormous shit & I swear to god above it looked just like one of those catbird fuckers, man!

Anonymous said...

Tom, you are so full of it, you penny-assed son of a bitch! I never!

Catbird Johnny said...

I think we can guess exactly where John Goodman, as the character Gale Snoats in 'Raizing Arizona' got the term 'catbird seat' from: screenwriters Ethan and Joel Cohen. That's how it works in the movie business - actors recite the lines they are given in the script.

One of my favourite lines in that outstanding movie, though, and delivered superbly by Mr. Goodman.

Thanks for the research.